Traffic Violations and Tickets in Fairfax
Thousands of people receive traffic violations every day from local police officers or state troopers. There are several ways that people choose to handle traffic tickets, such as simply mailing a check to pay the fine, showing up at court to try to contest the ticket, or making the worst decision and ignoring the ticket. While you should never even consider ignoring a ticket, you also should re-think handling a ticket yourself. Even if you pay a fine, you will still get demerit points on your license for many violations. Demerit points can cause your insurance rates to rise or even cause you to lose your license temporarily if you amass too many. In having a Fairfax traffic violations lawyer represent you, you can have tickets negotiated, amended, or even dismissed so you pay lower fines and possibly avoid points altogether.
When you are convicted of a traffic offense, the court sends notice to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The DMV in turn does the following:
- Posts the conviction to your driving record — the length of time the conviction stays on your record depends on the severity of the offense.
- Assigns a number of demerit points to your license according to the Virginia DMV points system.
- Notifies your insurance company of the conviction and associated demerit points.
- Orders you to complete a driver improvement clinic, if applicable to the offense.
- Orders the suspension of your driver’s license if applicable to the charge or total number of points on your license.
For some traffic offenses the judge can order an additional sentence. For instance, a reckless driving conviction carries a possible penalty of up to 12 months in jail and $2,500 fine. Furthermore, some convictions may keep you from working in certain industries, such as delivery jobs or other jobs that require commercial driving.Call a Fairfax Traffic Violations Lawyer Today
If you have received any type of traffic ticket or charge, it can never hurt to schedule a free consultation with a Fairfax traffic violations lawyer to see how he can help you. Traffic lawyers are able to get more favorable results for you including lower fines, fewer points, and avoidance of jail time and license suspension.